The Mentoring Solutions toolbox is intended to share ideas and tools for individual mentors and mentor program leaders.
Background: Much of this toolbox resulted from the Mentor for Purpose initiative from 2017-18. We worked with mentor program leaders from Cincinnati and NKY to document the skills and training for mentor development. The training materials and tools are freely available to LSN Members. Just contact us.
Objective: The general goals are to:
- Develop new mentors as quickly as possible (more focus on quality than quantity).
- Support and grow volunteer mentors and service professionals (energized, purposeful, serving to potential).
- Introduce more Purpose to mentoring. This is about helping people know themselves deeply, developing a life plan and living to their potential.
Mentoring Solutions Examples: The LSN toolbox already contains many items. Many of these “solutions” are not on-line; contact us for more information. Here is a partial list:
- Process documentation…process design & improvement for topics such as recruiting, training and retention.
- Mentor for Purpose workshops.
- Coaching Roadmaps.
- Mentor program startup support…we are working with a number of local organizations to startup or expand mentor programming.
- Mentoring…we especially love to mentor volunteers and volunteer leaders.
- Benchmarking…sharing of local best practices.
- Role descriptions…Volunteer Mentor, Mentor Program Leader and Lead Volunteer are examples.
- Mentor Development Planning process.
- Organization-specific initiatives, e.g. create a Coaching Roadmap, startup a new mentoring program.
- The Mentoring.org web site has a wealth of information for starting up and operating an effective mentoring program. Be sure to integrate this into the way you manage and lead.